Monday, August 10, 2015

An adventure/survival novel that I really liked and read in one sitting!

Girl UnderwaterGirl Underwater by Claire Kells
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book with the Woman's Adventure Magazine Book Club on Facebook. We normally read non-fiction travel adventure books, but reading a novel that read like it was real, was a nice change. I read the book in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. It is a debut novel and I look forward to more by Claire Kells!

In this book 19 year old Avery Delacorte, a competitive college swimmer, is on her way home to Boston for Thanksgiving, when the plane goes down in the Rockies of Colorado. She, a fellow teammate, Colin, and 3 little boys, are the only survivors. They survive in the mountains for 5 days, in sub-freezing temperature, and with dwindling food supplies (airplane snacks only), and injuries, before being rescued. In the aftermath of the rescue, Avery suffers from PTSD, as what really happened is not what she told the media. The book jumps back and forth in time, very effectively. My only question is why did Avery avoid Colin from the time she first met him as a freshman and he was so nice to her? I didn't understand what her reason was.

I also don't understand the negative reviews I've read, because I really liked the book and thought it was well-written. I guess different strokes for different folks!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment