Thursday, September 17, 2015

Big Little LiesBig Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Okay, this is now, officially, my favorite book (so far) of 2015. I listened to it on Audible and could hardly wait for my commute to/from work each day to listen to it! It's about a group of mothers in Australia (Madeline, Celeste, Jane, Renata, and Bonnie, their husbands and families, and some other minor characters), all mothers of kindergarten students in a small beach town on the Australian coast. An incident happens on the day of kindergarten orientation that affects them all in some way, and then, on "trivia night" a few months later, a death happens (we find out about it in the first chapter, but it takes the whole book to find out what happened and to whom - until then we don't know). The book goes from that night of the supposed murder/death, and then goes back in time to "5 months before trivia night," "4 months before trivia night," and so on. And then after the incident it goes from days after trivia night, 4 weeks after trivia night, and 1 year after trivia night. The deals with many issues: bullying, gossip, teenagers, domestic violence, divorce/remarriage, infidelity, women's body issues, and more. It is very character-driven and the reader is very much drawn into each of the lives of the characters. There are some twists at the end that I suspected at first, but then had discarded, so I was surprised when they were revealed. The characters were all intertwined in some way, which was part of the brilliance of this book. I love this author's writing, and have read one other of her books, but like this one the best so far. I plan to read her other books because I love her writing so much. By the way, this would be a great book for a book club discussion. And I highly recommend the Audible version as I thought the narrator was excellent.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment