Wednesday, March 25, 2015

An excellent psychological thriller!

The Girl on the TrainThe Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So far, this is one of my favorite books of 2015. While being compared to Gone Girl, the only similarity that I can see is that both are psychological thrillers. I did not figure out the ending and I was surprised! I liked the way the book was written, from the points of view of the three main characters, Rachel, Megan and Anna. None of the characters in the book was particularly likeable, except maybe Rachel's roommate. As Rachel was an unreliable narrator (she had black outs and could not remember what she did or saw), I really had no idea which way the book was going to go; there were lots of twists and turns. The author, Paula Hawkins, is a wonderful writer and I thought the characters were all well written. Like Rachel, I too would be daydreaming and imagining lives about the people I would see if I were passing by on a commuter train, so I found this book very believable. bad things happened to her every time she drank. I would've thought she would try to curb it more, but she was pretty hopeless. I have one question that I must have missed in the reading - what happened to Megan's child that she lost years ago? How did she die - an illness, an accident, or what? Although the book was dark and somewhat depressing, it kept me enthralled until the end and I highly recommend it. I hope our book discussion next week is a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Started reading this last night.thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan feel asleep in the tub and the baby had been on her chest and drowned. She and Mac buried the baby on the property where they were living at the time.After Megan's death the police looked into her background and found the remains of the child.

    ReplyDelete